Sunday, March 4, 2012

Baby Steps, Right?

Jay at the top of youngberg Hill-
 (the winery is for sale - just an FYI)




How does one get ready to ride 60-70 miles per day on a fully loaded bike by summer?  Time in the saddle, that’s how! 
I am pretty much recovered so it is time to get some bike rides in.  Today, we ventured out on one of our favorite rides out of McMinnville, Oregon: a 23.5 mile out and back along Muddy Valley road. The spring like weather was fantastic for my first long ride back on the bike.  We had just two short hilly miles to our turn around point at the Lawrence Gallery on Hwy 18 when I began to get a bit hungry.  Since we were no more than two miles out, I opted to continue riding. As I approached the top of a short hill a mile or so out,  I began to wonder if I could mentally will the liver to release glucose for quick energy.  I am guessing that it did not work as I was grumpy-hungry by the time we reached the little market near the Lawrence Gallery.  We opted to purchase snacks at the market in lieu of eating our Mojo bars, a much tastier option. Unfortunately, the little market is no longer there!   A short rest in the warm late winter sun complete with Mojo bars and water was all we needed to rejuvinate and head back to McMinnville.

JP on a beautiful day
I definitely felt more comfortable on my new touring bike-  just need to get more time in the saddle.  I am pretty sure that riding 9.44 miles on Thursday, doing yoga and a hike on Saturday and riding 23.5 miles today would be exactly what the doctor referred to as baby steps, right!?  

No comments: